This week, I noticed that I'm definitely someone who needs to schedule time into my day to practice my Genius Hour project or it will surely get away from me! I read in the book Atomic Habits by James Clear that making things a habit comes easier when you attach the task to another habit you already have. (For example, I will apply moisturizer to my face every time I brush my teeth.) I applied that same theory to this project to help keep me accountable and on-track. Working out is very important to me, whether it is yoga, barre, or pilates, I try to attend a workout class most days of the week. So what better habit to attach practicing my photography skills to than my workout routine? Over the past few weeks, as "the dip" really set in, I tried to bring my camera along with me to my workouts and shoot a little on the walk to the studio or home from the studio to maximize my time in the evenings and on the weekends. While it wasn't a perfect science, and sometimes I would forget to bring my camera with me (or frankly just not feel like lugging it around) or the sun would be down by the time I left class, it did get me in the habit of making practicing photography part of my routine.
This week I've been working on the composition of my photos, particularly trying to incorporate the Rule of Thirds. How did I do??
This week I've been working on the composition of my photos, particularly trying to incorporate the Rule of Thirds. How did I do??

I read that book, too! What a great way to approach this project! Now you have me thinking about what habit I can attach cooking to....
ReplyDelete