Skip to main content

21st Century Ed Leadership Reflection

The course, 21st Century Ed Leadership, has been one of my favorites throughout this program. I liked it so much because it felt very aligned to the work I do as a TOSA in our district. We plan district-wide PD, plan staff meetings, and periodically observe other staff members, so I really enjoyed digging into resources tied to these topics to help improve what I'm already doing.

My favorite assignment in this course was the walk-through. In my opinion, educators do not have enough opportunities to observe each other. In my TOSA role, I am constantly in other people's classrooms and I have to say, there is just SO much talent across our district! We have amazing things happening at all grade levels and at all buildings, and it would be so beneficial if teachers could have more time to observe and learn from each other. This walk-through form helped me to narrow my focus when going into a teacher's classroom to observe for technology integration. It made the observation so much more targeted and the conversations after the observation much more productive. I plan to continue to use this form with teachers who are asking for feedback on their lessons.

Another assignment that I really enjoyed was the PD plan. As a TOSA, I am planning PD all the time! However, I enjoyed the challenge to incorporate Malcom Knowles' Theory of Andragogy into the plan. Thinking about how adult learners learn best put a different focus on the plan and I really tried to incorporate opportunities for self-guided exploration, discussion, choice, and application of learning into my one-day PD plan. I focused this plan on learning about the SAMR model in a "train the trainer" workshop. I look forward to planning future PD sessions, keeping adult learning theory at the forefront!

Comments

  1. I have a newfound respect for the time, creativity, and brainstorming that goes into planning professional development for our district. Even planning a meaningful faculty meeting was tough for me. THANK YOU to you and the TOSAs for all of your hard work; since you have been involved in the PD for our district, the time spent has been exponentially more helpful and useful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Genius Hour Post #1: Topic Selection

For this E-Learning course, we are focusing our energies on a Genius Hour project - curveball: for ourselves! I've had experience with taking students through the Genius Hour process for several years while I was still in the classroom, and I've also helped to lead our district staff through education-related Passion Projects, but I've never completed a Genius Hour or Passion Project of my own. This is EXCITING! I'm the type of person who never stops learning and trying new things, so this type of project is right up my alley. Now, what to focus on? I love to journal in my free time and one of my entries a day or two before the new year was a bucket list for 2020 (pictured). On that list I included things I've always wanted to try, to learn, or to experience, and so what better place to start my Genius Hour project than there? Some bucket list items that could make for excellent Genius Hour projects include: 1) Capture beautiful moments with my camera Two Ch...

D181 - Better Together

In our 21st century ed leadership course, we planned a district-wide challenge. Our goal for this project was to improve culture, foster collaboration, and encourage innovative teaching practices across our district.  We brainstormed ideas together in class and then collaborated digitally in between meetings to move our plan forward. We came up with a great plan to get our teachers excited about technology and trying new things! Each week, teachers will have a new set of tech challenges to complete and they will earn points which they can cash in for laptop stickers and other swag. We plan to implement this challenge in January as a way to jumpstart the new year and to spice up the winter blues. This capstone project was fun to plan but it also had many challenges. First, working to plan a large-scale event with around 20 people is no easy task, particularly since much of the planning was done via digital collaboration instead of in-person discussions. During our second c...

Genius Hour Post #2: Exploratory Experience

This week, I dabbled with a few of my Genius Hour topics. My three potential topics - learning to use my camera, learning to surf, and learning to cook - came directly from my 2020 bucket list and are all things I've been wanting to tackle for years now! I took my camera to my niece's 1st birthday party to try to capture some special moments and I did the best I could with what little photography knowledge I remember from the one 6-hour class I took two years ago. My results were mediocre at best, and it certainly didn't help that my adorable 12-month old subject absolutely never. sits. still. However, the feeling I get with a camera in my hand is magical. I love trying to find just the right angle and capture just the right moment or expression.  I was laying on my stomach on the floor in the middle of the party at one point just to "get the shot." Unfortunately, it is disappointing when I look at the tiny screen on the camera to see that the vision I had for a...