In my current role as a TOSA, I find myself screencasting quite a bit. With working between several buildings, I can't always be in the building at the exact time a teacher needs help. I have created several screencasts for teachers to show them how to do something if I can't meet with them and their question or need is time-sensitive. The TOSA team also incorporates screencasts into some of our PD resources to help make sure teachers know how to access materials or resources we're using for PD sessions. The sample screencast below was created for a teacher that needed help with conditional formatting in Google Sheets to auto-populate percentage columns in a gradebook.
However, before this course, I never thought about the many different ways screencasting can be used with students. I would absolutely consider leaving a screencast for a substitute teacher if the lesson had a particular message that I wanted to make sure got across in the way I intended it to! Once I had to be out for a meeting during a MAP testing session and I made a screencast for my students as a little pep talk before the test and the substitute said the kids really got a kick out of hearing from me even though I wasn't there. I never did this for any lesson or content, but would absolutely try it in an instance where I wanted the students to hear directly from me. I also like the idea of using screencasting to flip a few lessons or to create videos for review that my students could watch while I'm meeting with other small groups of students. Also, tools like Seesaw and Explain Everything have whiteboard screencasting capabilities for students to demonstrate their learning, which can then be easily shared with parents. I definitely plan to continue to explore the possibilities of screencasting in the classroom!
However, before this course, I never thought about the many different ways screencasting can be used with students. I would absolutely consider leaving a screencast for a substitute teacher if the lesson had a particular message that I wanted to make sure got across in the way I intended it to! Once I had to be out for a meeting during a MAP testing session and I made a screencast for my students as a little pep talk before the test and the substitute said the kids really got a kick out of hearing from me even though I wasn't there. I never did this for any lesson or content, but would absolutely try it in an instance where I wanted the students to hear directly from me. I also like the idea of using screencasting to flip a few lessons or to create videos for review that my students could watch while I'm meeting with other small groups of students. Also, tools like Seesaw and Explain Everything have whiteboard screencasting capabilities for students to demonstrate their learning, which can then be easily shared with parents. I definitely plan to continue to explore the possibilities of screencasting in the classroom!
Screencasting is a wonderful tool to share information! You are doing great things! Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea, Jessica! I would love using Screencasts via google classroom on days when I had a sub! That way, the message can NEVER get lost in translation. No more hearing, "the sub never told us that". Screen casting would also work for creating activities in SeeSaw, which is a new favorite of mine! Thanks for sharing Jessica!
ReplyDelete